Student Council Deserves a Round of Applause!

Imagine no school dances or no fun activities both inside and outside of school. How boring that would be! Well, that’s what school would be like if we didn’t have our student council here at Prior Lake. Some of us may not know all the great things student council does for our school and some of us might just take it all for granted.

Shannon Hockman is a senior at Prior Lake High School and a member of student council. She said they help out in many different ways and get kids involved in a variety of fun ways.

Hockmas said, “Every year we donate to a student scholarship for kids that can’t fund. We also help fund kids who aren’t able to pay for prom. Another cool thing we do is a new student BBQ and I love doing that to help the new kids not be freaked out!”

Student council does both big and little things to benefit the school, teachers, and students. Some of the big things they plan are school dances like prom, sweethearts and homecoming. They also plan the fun events during those weeks like powder puff, paint wars, outdoor movies and the spirit week dress up days.

Along with all those big things they do and plan, they also help out in smaller ways that aren’t as noticeable to the students and staff. Hockman said, “Smaller things we do are like water bottle fillers and new hand dryers.”

“My favorite part about student council is taking part in school activities and being able to make a direct impact on students,” said Hockman. “Like if a kid says oh powder puff was fun or I liked the decorations at the dance I know we made that happen.”

Shannon said she and the rest of student council always has a good time planning all the different events. She said, “My favorite thing to plan is either our spirit events like paint war, outdoor movie, kickball, and homecoming.”

Patrick Bernick, a junior at Prior Lake High School and another member of student council said, “My favorite events to plan for the school are all the dances. It’s fun to pick out a theme and the spirit days throughout the week.”

Student council is a great thing we have here at Prior Lake High School and the members don’t always get enough credit for all the things they do. They deserve much appreciation for all their hard work to make our school a better place!