Is Homework Necessary?

For eight hours every day,  high school students have the luxury of sitting in classrooms to learn about a variety of things.  This is without a doubt an opportunity that some of the world does not have, and we have every reason to feel fortunate for this right.  But how much forced learning is too much?

Many schools around the United States are adopting a “No Homework Policy” or a “Homework Ban.”  Most of these schools, however, are elementary schools, but this number is increasing nationwide every year.

Studies show that homework given at the primary level of education has less of an effect on the students overall grades and understanding.  The benefits increase as their age and grade does, but how much homework is too much?

It has been calculated by a survey of teachers that a high school student can have up to 3.5 hours of homework per night.  That is simply just too much, especially when most high school students have either a job, sport, or other extra curricular activities to attend to.

Although a study has shown that students that do their homework in high school have a higher grade percentage, that is not an indicator that homework is benefiting them intellectually.  Yes, they have better grades, but is that because of all of the homework points that they have accumulated? Or because all of that homework is actually providing a deeper understanding of the material?  

Myself and other students have often questioned what would happen if Prior Lake got rid of homework altogether, or rather replaced it with only left over work that was supposed to be completed in class.  

If there was a way to manipulate class structures to involve more work time and less lecture, there is a chance that it would prove more beneficial than the traditional lecture and worksheet type of class.

Eliminating homework could prove beneficial for multiple reasons.  One of those reasons includes the opportunity to get more sleep, which has proven to be extremely influential on a student’s success.  On top of that, it also provides a possibility for students to spend more time with their family, and educate themselves about things that are not taught in school.

Schooling is very important and we are lucky to be in such a high ranking high school, but I am proposing that we use our school hours to more efficiently get through the curriculum.  That will allow us, as students, to use our free time as just that;  free time.