Freshman Feature — Lynh Tran

In a school full of fascinating and talented students, we bring the spotlight to one student in particular. Lynh Tran is freshman at Prior Lake High School, known among her peers as not only as an exceptional Speech’er, but also a golfer, singer, knowledge bowler, and volunteer. This wide array of activities, along with her charming personality, inspired a more in-depth review of Lynh’s endeavors.

Lynh is praised for her success this year on the Speech Team. She explains, “Well, I auditioned for Beauty and The Beast, but it was lot of time commitment that I couldn’t do. So, I heard about speech and I thought, hey, I should audition for this.”

This was Lynh’s first year in Speech and as she says, she was aiming for the Informative category. She was instead placed in Poetry, a dramatically different category in which the speakers take excerpts of famous poems and combine them to create a story.

During the Speech season, Lynh quickly garnered attention from coaches and speakers alike as she consistently made the finals in both Novice and Varsity divisions. She eventually made it to our district’s Section 6AA Tournament where she participated in her category’s Final Division—the only freshman on the team to do so.

Seeing her break barriers and go so far in her first year, it seemed only natural when she was awarded “Rookie of The Year” along with various other awards during the Speech Banquet last week. When asked for a few words she’d say to future freshman interested in Speech, she responds, “Join speech! It’s a time commitment, but if you join with your friends, it’ll be a bunch of fun.”

While Speech is a major aspect of her life, Lynh also has other hobbies and extracurricular activities that she participates in. For example, she’s an avid golfer and has been golfing for five years. She started with The First Tee program and eventually honed her skills golfing at Cleary Lake, The Meadows, and through Prior Lake’s own golf team.

Lynh also enjoys doing volunteer work, helping out at McKenna Crossing retirement home. “I go there and I play piano,” she says. “I talk to people, help them out, and do whatever the volunteer director wants me to do. It’s a lot of fun.” She loves everything about music, from playing piano to taking voice lessons, and is an active member of Prior Lake High School’s Choir .
Lynh claims that she’s not an really an interesting or talented person. But it’s the hard work and passion that she puts in Speech and her other activities that sets her apart, and thus she is wholly deserving of recognition. As she stated, “I feel like this year has really opened me up to other opportunities, other things that I could do.” Perhaps students could follow in her footsteps and put themselves out there; try something new and work hard at it. You never know what you might accomplish.