No Shave, No Problem

Mr. Gaudette sporting the Ambrose Burnside look.

Shaving and trimming of facial hair is something every reasonable person does to maintain a clean respectable appearance. So obviously there is a whole month dedicated to the prevention of that appearance.

Speaking with Mr. Grimme an English teacher at Prior Lake High School, I was able to gain more insight into the reasoning behind No-Shave November at PLHS.

“No-Shave November is a month dedicated to bring awareness to men’s health issues such as prostate cancer, and men don’t shave for the entirety of November” explained Grimme during an interview. No-Shave November is a web based non-profit organization devoted to increasing cancer awareness and acquiring funds to cancer prevention.

Prior Lake High School holds a No-Shave November competition between the teachers where they compete with donations from their students, and the teachers try to raise the most money by the end of the month.

The competition is run by the Student Council of PLHS. A member of Student Council named Jon Hedburg gave his time to explain the council’s involvement and his thoughts on the subject.

“Student Council organizes the fundraiser and competition between the teachers and students. We collect the winnings and provide the prize of a pizza party to the winning class” said Jon when asked about how much the council actually controls.

Jon even donates to the cause himself and explained how the donations get sent out: “the winner actually gets to choose which men’s health organization they would like to donate to, but the Movember foundation is one of the more popular choices” said Jon.

Mr. Grimme has been involved with the movement for about six years and loves being a part of the competition. “I normally don’t shave anyway and find the cause to be a great way to help out and bring awareness to these issues” said Grimme.

Grimme also stated that he brings in a few hundred dollars on average each year but some teachers like Mr. Gaudette have brought in around a thousand dollars of donations.

“I think the most important aspect of this movement is awareness that we spread and the reminders for men to get checked for problems like prostate cancer before it’s too late” Grimme stated on his opinion of what the movement meant to him.