The Student News Site of Prior Lake High School

The Wave

• Story ideas? email plhsnewspaper@gmail.com with idea and contact information

• Want to join The Wave Newspaper Staff? Come to Room 239 on Friday mornings at 7:30 a.m.

R.O.C.K. to Open a Pop-UP Market

Open to all students, R.O.C.K. is opening a pop-up market near the student entrance of Prior Lake High School beginning April 12

Grace Cline, Editor-in-Chief

R.O.C.K. (Reaching Our Community’s Kids) is a local non-profit  of the Prior Lake-Savage Area that distributes food to food insecure students in school district ISD 719. Their goal? To provide single-serving, non-perishable, easily-prepared food items to students. Currently, they provide backpacks on Fridays to students in grades K-8 with enough food for two breakfasts, two lunches, and snacks . While this system has proved to be successful at the elementary and middle school level, the organization hopes to extend their reach to Prior Lake High School as well.

Inspired by stories of teachers giving food to hungry children, R.O.C.K. began in fall of 2014 at the Grainwood and Five Hawks elementary schools, then spread to other elementary school later that spring. Funded by donations from local businesses, organizations, families and their annual soup bowl dinner, “Fill the Bowl,” in the fall, R.O.C.K. continues to pack meals for children every week with the help of volunteers.

Open to all students, R.O.C.K. is opening a pop-up market near the student entrance of Prior Lake High School beginning April 12. In business before and after school, students will have access to bread, peanut butter, fresh fruit, various breakfast items, snack items, personal hygiene products, and easy-to-make store- bought foods, such as macaroni and cheese.

The market will be staffed by members of the Interact and Junior Optimist Club, along with the help of R.O.C.K. adult volunteers. Combined with the marketing help of current MnCaps students, the market is a collaboration between R.O.C.K. and school officials. If the market is successful, R.O.C.K. hopes to expand in the coming years. Plans for a summer market at Bridges ALC or at Prior Lake High School are in the works, as well as a breakfast corner that will be run by student volunteers.

Former PLHS A.D. and current R.O.C.K. Volunteer Mary Haugen hopes that by opening the market to all students, it will be comfortable and barrier free for them. Haugen explains that by “opening the market to all students, we hope will make this happen.”

Find more information at the www.rockmn.org website.