The Wave

• Story ideas? email plhsnewspaper@gmail.com with idea and contact information

• Want to join The Wave Newspaper Staff? Come to Room 239 on Friday mornings at 7:30 a.m.

Should Preschool Be Mandatory?

Sophie Dicke, Contributor

According to NCES, The National Center for Education Statistics, 38% of three year-olds and 67% of four year-olds are enrolled in preschool. This means over half of three year-olds are not enrolled in a program which is designed to boost their emotional and social skills.

Preschool is an important step for emotional development in children. It helps them understand separation from their families and how to be more comfortable around large groups of other children their age.  

Some parents may argue that these skills could be taught to their child in a home setting. While you can teach a child manners at home, being in a real time situation where you will need to share and get along with others is yet another important step towards emotional maturity.

Signs of separation anxiety typically tend to dwindle after the age of two. Although children ages three and four can still face symptoms, attending a full-time or part-time preschool can help kids prepare for kindergarten and elementary school where they will be away from their families for the majority of the day.  

Preschools in the Prior Lake-Savage district also have speech therapy available for children who need it. There is also a Special Ed program to accommodate for those who need it.  Extra teachers and paras are placed in the classrooms for those who need accommodations. Children with disabilities will have the same opportunities as children who are neurotypical.

Making friends is another important benefit of early childhood development. Preschool programs give young children the opportunity to make their own friendships without the help of a parent.

Children begin to make their own friends around the age of three. Making friendships during early child development can have a positive effect on their self-esteem and social development later in life. It can encourage the child to be welcoming to others, and adapt to different social situations.