The Wave

• Story ideas? email plhsnewspaper@gmail.com with idea and contact information

• Want to join The Wave Newspaper Staff? Come to Room 239 on Friday mornings at 7:30 a.m.

NHS Induction

Back to Article
Back to Article

NHS Induction

Kennon Wales, Editor

On October 24th, Prior Lake’s National Honor Society inducted 54 new members into its ranks. NHS hopefuls picked up applications this past August. Students filled out the applications and also had to get recommendations from teachers in order to apply. According to president, Braeden Malotky, NHS is based on four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership and character. National Honor Society members must have a minimum GPA, be willing to serve their community through volunteerism, be leaders who are good problem solvers and idea contributors, and have high standards of honesty and reliability.  He says, “Applicants are selected based on their strength in all four pillars on their application.”

Social Studies teacher Ryan Wagner was voted by members of NHS to be the keynote speaker at the induction ceremony. Wagner was also a member of NHS when he was in high school. Malotky describes the take-aways from Wagner’s address to students by saying, “Instead of thinking of induction as an end-all accomplishment, Wagner challenged inductees to use NHS induction as a stepping stone to more service and leadership.” 

There are 87 members this year, the biggest group to date. Malotky looks forward to the year saying he is “really excited to work with such a large group of students toward our common goals of character, service, leadership, and scholarship.”