Is Disney+ worth it?

It has officially been one week since Disney released its new streaming service Disney+. With many great TV shows and movies, it is the desired app (especially for nostalgic teenagers). Disney+ has taken the top spot for “Top Charts” on Apple’s app store – surpassing Netflix and Hulu. One day after it’s release, it gained 10 million subscribers. The popularity is evident, but is Disney+ worth it?

Disney+ offers many different types of entertainment. It has series, movies, and Disney+ original productions. One Disney+ original is High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. This show takes place at East High- high school where the High School Musical trilogy was filmed- as the students from the high school put on their first production of High School Musical. Another Disney+ original is Noelle. In this movie, Noelle tells her brother to take a break before his first Christmas as Santa, but he ends up disappearing. Noelle takes an adventure to find him, bring him back, and save Christmas. Although they have many originals, the most well known Disney+ original is probably The Mandalorian.

Disney+ includes movies by Disney, Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and National Geographic. The Disney section includes Disney Channel Original Movies (like High School Musical, Cheetah Girls, Lemonade Mouth, and Descendants), animated princess movies (like Cinderella or The Little Mermaid), Disney Channel Shows (like Lizzie McGuire and The Suite Life of Zach and Cody). The Pixar section includes Pixar movies (like Toy Story and Cars) and Pixar shorts (like “Bao” and “Lava”). The Marvel section includes Marvel movies and Marvel series, and the Star Wars Includes Star Wars movies and Star Wars shorts. The National Geographic section includes National Geographic movies, documentaries, and TV shows. 

One con of Disney+ is that there is no “continue watching” section, but if you return to the program, it will start where you left off. Another downside is that not all the movies people want are on there yet. Movies, such as Black Panther and the live-action Aladdin, are not on there yet due to contract reasons, and movies that are rated higher than PG-13 are not featured on the app. One last con is that Disney+ may ruin your life. With such a wide variety of content to choose from, it becomes difficult to stop binge-watching. In fact, as I write this, I am watching a movie and I have watched WAY too many movies during the week. Now, the big question: Is Disney+ worth it?

As an avid Disney fan, Disney+ is definitely worth it. My favorite movies from when I was a child and my favorite movies now are all on the app. The movies and TV shows I’ve listed above are just a small number of all the content I intend to watch. As a high school senior, some of the movies and TV shows are just great for a throwback to the past when school gets to be a lot (even though it doesn’t help with senioritis). If you wanna see what Disney+ is like for yourself, feel free to try the 7-day free trial. If you have Verizon Unlimited, you can get Disney+ free for one year. Or just give in and pay $6.99 per month and watch your childhood “dreams come true.”